Kale Mallung (Salad)


Simple ingredients - stunning flavours... it’s by far one of the most delicious kale dishes you'll ever eat. 


Mallung or mallum as it's called in Sri Lanka is an integral part of the island's authentic rice and curry meals. A popular version is cabbage leaves mallung, which is one of my favourites. Living in Dubai, I don't always get my hands on cabbage leaves, and since those leaves are very similar to the taste and texture of kale, I decided to recreate it with it.



Recipe Notes:

> Wash and cute the kale into very small pieces. 

> Most people leave out the stems as they're quite hard, but what I like to do is use a meat cleaver to smash them up a bit, then I chop them into small pieces and add them to the leaves.



> You can also add some fresh, grated coconut about 2 to 3 minutes before this dish finishes cooking. It will add amazing flavour!

> If you do not have kale, you can substitute this recipe with spinach leaves as well.

> To reduce the spiciness, you can lessen or even completely omit the red chilli flakes and green chillies.

> I have used coconut oil because I love the flavour, but you can substitute with any other oil as well.


You can also check out the demo video on my Youtube Channel - @kalemallung



Youtube: MyFoodChic

Facebook: @MyFoodyChic

Instagram: @MyFoodyChic

Twitter: @MyFoodyChic




Ingredients:


200g kale leaves

1 sprig of curry leaves

1 medium onion, sliced

2 cloves of garlic, sliced

3 small green chillies, chopped

2 tsp red chilli flakes

1 tsp turmeric powder

Salt to taste

1 tbsp coconut oil


Method:


Place a clay pot or pan on low to medium heat.


Toss in the chilli flakes and garlic.


Stir-fry for a few seconds.


Add the onions, curry leaves and green chillies.


Combine well and stir-fry until the onions turn translucent.


Add the kale leaves, turmeric powder and salt.


Combine until all the ingredients are well infused.


Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the kale loses some of its volume.


Open and stir in between so that the leaves don't get stuck to the bottom.


When done, the kale should be nice and tender, yet crunchy.


This flavourful dish goes best as a side with rice and curry. It's even great with chapattis or rotis.


Enjoy!


PS: If you make any of my recipes, do tag me on Instagram as @MyFoodyChic and use the #MyFoodyChic hashtag. I really do love seeing your takes on my recipes!


XOXO, Jovanka

Comments