Homemade Chilli Garlic Oil


Impress your palate with this simple homemade garlic chilli oil. Perfect for drizzling over a variety of foods for extra spice and flavour, it is also great for mixing into sauces, vinaigrettes or even soups.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am obsessed with anything ‘chilli’! That I suppose is the Sri Lankan in me. I really do not enjoy any meal unless it’s spicy and flavourful. 

So whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, I always prefer something savory rather than sweet. This chilli oil is a recipe I came up with as an easy, quick option to make for those times I prepare ramen noodles, fried rice or even some simple soups. A dollop or two adds so much flavor to the dish, it's unbelievable!

NEVER allow the oil to smoke: If it smokes while cooking, immediately take it off the heat to lessen the temperature. The aim is ensure the oil does not boil, but slowly simmers during the cooking process. This allows all the ingredients to infuse perfectly with the oil.

STORING the oil: Once you’ve removed the oil from the heat and added the balance ingredients, allow it to cool down completely. Then pour it into a bottle or jar and seal it. Store it in the refrigerator or cool, dark cupboard.

You can also check out the demo video on my Youtube Channel - COMING SOON!


Youtube: MyFoodChic

Facebook: @MyFoodyChic

Instagram: @MyFoodyChic

Twitter: @MyFoodyChic


* This recipe makes enough for about 2 or 3 servings. To double or triple this recipe, just proportionately increase the quantities of the ingredients.


Ingredients:


5 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 tbsp of a neutral flavoured oil like canola, vegetable, etc.
1 tbsp chilli flakes
1 tsp sesame seeds

Method:

Place a small saucepan on a very low flame. 
Add the oil and gently heat it.


Before the oil gets too hot toss in the garlic.


Give it a good stir to ensure all the garlic is coated in the oil.


Now let it slowly cook for 15 minutes on very, very low heat.
Do not allow the garlic to burn!


Remove from the heat.


Toss in the red chilli flakes.


Then add the sesame seeds. 


Mix and combine all the ingredients well.


If you're not going to use this immediately, store it in a clean, airtight container. 


As I mentioned earlier, you can drizzle a tablespoon or two of this chilli oil over a bowl of noodles, fried rice or even a soup or salad. It also goes well with dumplings, roast meats and vegetables.

PS: If you make any of my recipes, do tag me on Instagram as @MyFoodyChic and use the #MyFoodyChic hashtag. I really do love seeing your takes on my recipes!

XOXO, Jovanka 

Comments